To supplement your course readings or to get started with your research project, UNic's Library Search gateway is the best way to find book,s ebooks, journal articles, databases and more...
To find ebooks and/or journal articles, enter your keywords and select E-resources from drop down menu
To see if the library subscribes or provides open access to a specific journal title, search the publication list
Find a book on the library shelf to begin your research via the Library catalogue
Research is an ongoing scholarly process that uses specific methods to answer questions or solve problems. The goal of research is to develop, refine or create knowledge. Starting your assignment with a well-defined research question will help provide clarity and focus as you look for information. Posing a research question will also assist you as you write by helping to avoid the tendency to write an “all about” essay instead of answering a question that interests you.
To focus your research ask yourself
1. What aspect of the topic interests me? Look for background information on a topic using general
reference sources such as: medical textbooks, dictionaries, Wikipedia etc.
Break down the topic into its narrower aspects and choose one that interests you.
E.g. kidney diseases> chronic kidney disease(ckd) > how is it diagnosed?
2. To start your search for books, ebooks and ejournal articles, use the UNic library catalogue
3. Think of words that describe your topic
E.g. chronic kidney disease, diagnosis
4. Once you have decided on the keywords that describe your research, use the catalogue to the find resource you need.
5. If you want an electronic resource, watch video to learn how to access full text via OpenAthens.